Initiation of Police Verification Request for Indian passport even though printing US address

I just received email below from the SF consulate. Looking forward to getting my new passport this week. I reached out to the sf consulate on this email address: passport.sf@mea.gov.in

Sent them email last week and again today. Finally they responded today.
Be sure to include applicant web reference number, expiring passport number and date of birth.

Good luck everyone!

=====================================================================
Dear XXXX,

You can expect to get your passports by end of this week.

Thanks & Regards,

Vani K

Passport Team,

Consulate General of India,

San Francisco.

1 Like

I was not sure how to start a new thread- so posting here, hope you or others reading can help.

1. Based off document checklist, the self sworn affidavit just needs applicants signature, but above article states to get it notarized. Not sure which one to follow?
  2. Do we need both VISA copy and approved I797 copy to be notarized? Or just approved I797 notarized copy is sufficient?
  3. Do we need to include birth certificate or could that be skipped?

Regarding the Police Inquiry, please mention the address and police station where you know someone and provide your details even if that place was not your last location in India. Like your family member or friend. I recently renewed passports for my wife and 2 daughters and for all 3 of them the police called my mother. She went to the police station and they took the details and cleared the police verification.

Should I add both the addresses in the online application form as indian address or should one be indian address and other be USA address

Hello all,
I sent passport for a renewal to the Indian consulate and got an e-mail saying police verification has been initiated & that I should contact police station if there are no updates after 3 weeks.

Some things to note for the application:

• The main address on the passport is the same as old in old passport & is the Indian home address. This is the same address on Aadhar card, PAN card, etc
  • I am obviously not in India, and neither have any family members living in India currently
  • I wrote a neighbors phone number on the paper application who lives near that address (I only wrote it after the application had been printed - so the online app in my account doesnā€™t have this number)
  • All other phone numbers on the application are North American

So my questions are

• shall I proactively reach out to the police station before the said 3 weeks and ask them if they need any documentation - that can be provided through WhatsApp or email? Has anybody done so?
  • Will the police try to reach out to an International phone number? Will they see the Indian number I wrote on the paper application?
  • If I do nothing, and if the police officer visits my locked apartment, can it have a negative impact on my passport application - like can they mark the verification process as adverse, and my passport will get stuck?

Any suggestions on the best course of action will be appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,
I have renewed my Passport (10 years ago) and there was no Police Verification performed at the time.
It was issued by New York consulate. Now, when I applied for renewal again, the embassy sent it for verification in India. Just curious, is Police Verification mandatory for all Passport renewals now ?

Hari
PS: This forum is really helpful and makes up for all the disarray of passport renewal process.

Yes it has been made mandatory since Sep: https://www.khaleejtimes.com/news/police-checks-must-for-nri-passport-renewal-confirms-diplomat-in-dubai

1 Like

Hi Anil,
thisā€™s suresh can you plz help me my passport renewal process during this application filling iā€™ve mentioned indian permanent address with contact details but i didnā€™t mention anywhere USA contact details is that ok or where should i mention ?

1 Like

Hey all, I made a mistake choosing the wrong Police station and my police verification went to a police station thatā€™s 30 km far from India address. any idea how can i correct it? OR itā€™s better to reach out to the police station and complete the verification.

1 Like

@Dipanjali_Biswas - I am in same situation like yours.

Just wanted to know did any verification happened for you? I got police verification email after receiving my passport.
Please help if you have any further information.

@dash - I have got the same email on Police verification but I have received my passport on the same day. Could you please let me know if Police verification happened for you? If yes, then what all needs to be done. Please help! Thanks!

3 Likes

@bluestar7 - could you please let me know what happened in your case? I m in similar situation like yours. Please help! Thanks

In a similar situation got email but no one has contacted. @Anshu_Sharma how many days have gone by since you got the email ?

Itā€™s been 5 days nowā€¦ But I havenā€™t got any call for verification. Just to be sure on the process I called consulate of Indian government , Atlanta and they said we need to follow the process what is mentioned in the email.

I am trying to get contacts of the SP office from my place so that I can talk to them and check what they need from my side.

Dipanjali_Biswas- Can You please update your case.How Police verification got completed in your case. I am in same situation now.

Hi All, My Police verification was completed and then only I received my passport.

However getting the verification done was a huge task. No one got in touch with me or my parents who live in my hometown, Kolkata. For a month we tried calling our local police station but they said some other team is supposed to do that verification since they do not deal with NRI.

I emailed continuously to these passport.sf@mea.gov.in,cg.sf@mea.gov.in, passport2.sf@mea.gov.in but they did not help. Only repeated that I will get passport once verification is over.

My parents and I tracked down the person who was supposed to verify my address after a lot of research, running around and unnecessary hassle. Finally this officer agreed to come and get it verified after 1.5 months of trying. (Is it our job to track down people? Last time I checked, it was their job)

When he arrived he indirectly told my parents itā€™s up to him how fast I get my passport. If he gives a clear certificate then only my passport will be issue and that it comes at a cost. In other words he asked for bribe.

My parents who are both retired offered him 500rs, which he returned and told them he can only work with 2000rs and above since this is a US case. My parents had to pay since they did not want more drama and my visas were stuck due to this.

This whole process was a harassment for me and my parents. At their old age they had to run around from one police station to another to find who is supposed to come and verify. I was in US at that time and felt helpless that my parents are running around for this in this pandemic.

I hope this was only my bad luck and others donā€™t have to go through this.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the Indian red tapism that has been intentionally introduced to generate money.

This police verification has been introduced recently even when they know that person is not living in India and will have to shell out money to please the police man.

But, thatā€™s how the government works irrespective of what politicians claim in their speech. They introduce these kind of things intentionally.

Even the ā€˜self attestā€™ all documents has been removed by VFS which was introduced couple of years ago.

The whole process of passport renewal is a hassle now with VFS getting paid just $15 per application. They are also looking at ways to get more per application from applicants.

1 Like

Every single person who pays bribe, creates more greed among the police staff. That is the reason this trend continues.
If verification gets complicated, contact the superintendent of police of your district.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Dipanjali for sharing your case and experience. As all dirstic administration department got digitized by nic;so its easy to contact and communcate with SP directly.Even We can use twitter as well in case if required.
One question- During your verification what was your status of application in passport seva portal?
For me,its now two days.No one still contactacted.Will wait for this week and then will check with local ps.

Hi Anshu,

Iā€™m curious to know if you got the police verification done? Iā€™m on the same boat as you. I got the police verification email two days ago, but today the status of my passport is printed and dispatched. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Sidd V

2 Likes