Split name in the passport

Hi Sameer,

Were you able to get the name split in the passport ?

I did share the notarized affidavit and Aadhaar/pan card / school certificate copies with the application. But they are asking 2 supporting public document which clearly has the name as you had mentioned(Given Name : A & Surname: B) and do not know any gov docs issued in this format.

Could you please advice how you were able to proceed ?

Thank you so much everyone for answering the queries and Mr. Anil for the detailed guide for renewal of passport.

1 Like

@ Ajithprakash , We just did for my son but we could submit 2 of his school documents in his preferred name.

Hi @Kaushik_Kas
I am doing split name in passport. Just want to confirm the following

• Did you apply passport in Normal or Tatkal processing
  • You just submitted the Name change affidavit without any supporting documents?

Hi Kaushik,

for my Split name application, I have submitted the notarized affidavit and Aadhaar and Pan Card certificate copies with the application. both Aadhar and PAN are in desired name format.

VFS has asked for 2 supporting public documents in Split Name format (First name and last name written separately). No gov docs are issued in this format.

Could you please advise how you were able to proceed?

Govt of India guideline says public document in “said name” and NOT First name and last name written separately. Also, it clearly states, the public document issued in India does not show the seperation.

Hi Abhishek,
I was not asked to submit any additional documents. My US driver’s license and pretty much ever document I had , has my name split correctly, including my SSN, so probably that’s why they did not ask for any additional docs.

1 Like

Hi Ganesh,
I applied in Normal processing. I did not give any documents specific to name change but just general documents like driver’s license, SSN, bank statements etc where my name was written correctly.

Sorry for replying late, I was able to split name in new passport. I submitted the notarized affidavit, Aadhar and pan card with full name.

Hi Kas
Did you need two witnesses to sign on “Name change affidavit”, during notary for Split name .
Or you sent only notarized form without witness sign.

1 Like

Hi Niruthya,
I submitted Aadhar and pan card today. Notarized affidavit, i understood I have to submit even this document. But do the witness also need to be there and notarized there sign too?

Hi @Kaushik_Kas ,
Thank you for the quick response. One last question.

1. Did you submit originals of drivers license and SSN or copy of SSN with Notarized or just a copy.

2 questions:

1. Which option did you choose for “Choose Your Passport Service*” in VFS global portal for splitting name. I don’t see any options for Reissue. I see options for Fresh passport and lost/damaged/expired passports
  2. How to get Notarized affidavits? Given that Indian Consulate San Francisco is closed for walk-in

One more question - My passport has no surname. My US addresses proof - REAL ID - had my full name as first name and LNU (acronym for Last Name Unown) as Last Name. Can I still submit it as local address proof?

Hi Kaushik,

This may be a naive question. In your actual application did you give your current name as in the existing passport or the name (split) you wish to have?

Also, in the name change affidavit, there’s lot of confusion on how to fill it especially with old and new names. My surname is blank in current passport and I’m splitting my first (given) name into given name and surname. So while filling out “name change affidavit” do I leave blank for “Old name/surname”? There is no guidance on VFS on how to fill this form so any guidance you can give from your experienece is very helpful.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Nairuthya,

I’ve some confusion in filling “affidavit for change in name” especially with point 1 and 4 in the form. For example, in the text below for Point 1,

That for and on behalf of myself and my wife, children and remitter issue , I wholly renounce/relinquish and abandon the use of my former name/surname of
……………………….and in place thereof, I do hereby assume from this date the name/surname ………………………, so that I and my wife, children and remitter issue may hereafter be called, known and distinguished not by my former name/surname, but assumed name/surname of ………………………

Do I leave the field “my former name/surname” as blank because in current passport there’s no surname?

Also for in the text for Point 4 as below,

In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my former and adopted name/surname of …………… and ……… affix my signature and seal, if any, this
…………………… day of ………

What is the correct way of filling this above text “my former and adopted name/surname of… and …”? should it be given name and new surname?

As you can see these ambiguous wordings cause a lot of confusion so I’d appreciate if you can share you recent experience in filling this form?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay people. I got my name split with below format. You need to submit two documents with the name. I mentioned (firstname) Actualfirstname and (lastname) Actuallastname where ever it needed and (blank) as it is. I had two witnesses sign it in front of the notary.

AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE IN NAME

By this deed I, the undersigned (fullname) , doing (job) and resident of (address) solemnly declare:

1. That for and on behalf of myself and remitter issue, I wholly renounce/relinquish and abandon the use of my former surname of (blank) and in place thereof, I do hereby assume from this date the given name (firstname) and surname (lastname) , so that I and my remitter issue may hereafter be called, known and distinguished not by my former surname, but surname of (lastname) and I am the same person.

2. That for and on behalf of myself and remitter issue, my name is (fullname) (Given Name) with no surname in Indian Passport (No. passportnumber) and my name needs to be split to (firstname) (Given Name) and (lastname) (Surname). That there is no change in my full name and it still remains the same as (fullname) and I am the same person.

3. That for the purpose of evidencing such my determination declare that I shall at all times hereafter in all records, deeds and writings and in all proceedings, dealings and transactions, private as well as upon all occasions whatsoever, use and sign the name of (firstname) as given name and (lastname) as my surname.

4. That I expressly authorize and request all persons in general and relatives and friends in particular, at all times hereafter to designate and address me and remitter issue by such given name (firstname) and surname (lastname) accordingly.

5. In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my former given name of (firstname) and surname of (lastname) affix my signature and seal, if any, this (day of month e.g., twenty first) day of (month year e.g., January 2021).

Signed, sealed and delivered by the above name

Date:

Name: (fullname)

In the presence of

Name: (witness1)

Address:

Name: (witness2)

Address:

1 Like

I need urgent hep, please share your experience as well.

Indian Passport has First Name - Robin Kumar
Surname -

So i applied passport renwal to split the name, so will helpful for usa documents.

I submitted - Voter Id, PAN card, DL (All has just Name no specific First name r last name “ROBIN KUMAR”)

VFS hold my application -

Please provide a document which shows split name. If you cannot provide the documents, you are strongly advised to restore the name arrangement as in the Indian Passport (Given Names: Robin Kumar; Surname:______) by providing a consent letter authorizing the Consulate to restore the old arrangement.

1 Like

@Gags
contact vfsglobalcare on twitter. They are the best. Also give consent letter that your name in PAN Card etc is same as your name in the passport application. Before that get in touch with them on twitter.

@All,
I also got the name split successfully.
I submitted

• name change affidavit
  • signature change affidavit (mandatory whether signature changed or not, i had not sent it, but they asked for it and i had to courier them)
  • Bunch of other mandatory documents
  • Bunch of consent letters
  • Voter Id and Aadhar Card

As a new user i won’t be allowed to add any more replies. All the replies and comments here are sufficient.
Only two useful thing i would like to add here, which was very helpful for me:

1. Contact VFS global care on twitter, they are the best in terms of responding fast. Next is email to VFS. worst is calling them :slight_smile:
  2. You can get document notarized for free.

All the best.

I basically used the name I want to be displayed on the new passport throughout my application, including the current name, since its actually not a wrong name, just a split of the names.

In the affidavit, I made sure my old and new names are the same so as to avoid any confusion, otherwise they might ask for further documentation.

1 Like